Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get started?

Students must submit a Declaration of Intent to minor. Using the web app, add the minor you wish to enroll in. Select which current as well as future courses you plan to use to fulfill the categories in your chosen minor. You have to do this for all of the minors you enroll in. You must complete this form by the end of your junior year to allow enough time for completion of all requirements. An administrator will review your course path and approve it if it meets all the requirements.

What if I can't or don't want to complete the minor?

There is no penalty for not completing the minor, and you can leave the program at any time after completing the Declaration of Intent. If you wish to leave the program, simply drop the minors you have added from the dashboard.

What if I want to switch my minor?

From the dashboard, add the minor you would like to change to. You will need to fill out the categories with the courses you have taken or intend to take. If you are sure you do not want to continue on with your original minor, you can drop it from the dashboard. Please remember that by switching minors, you will have different requirements for completion.

Can I complete more than one minor at the same time?

Yes, you can complete more than one minor, as long as you plan your schedule to make room for each and all of the minor requirements. You can also drop either or all of the minors at any time with no penalty to you.

How do I use AP credit to count toward my minor?

You need to have received a 4 or 5 on your AP exam to use the course for the minor. For prerequisites, there will be the option for the AP course on the dropdown menu for that category if it is an eligible option; select this, and we will check your transcript to confirm the score.

Does my course count if I received a C- as my final grade?

Pre-requisite courses (Microeconomics and Statistics) are okay to get a C- as long as you passed the course. The core requirements courses must have a C or above to be considered fulfilled requirements of the minor. We are unable to make exceptions for the below C grade level. In case you have a below C grade, you can either retake the course, or take a comparable course. We will use the better of the two grades toward your minor.

Can online courses count toward the minor?

Online core requirements must be taken at Cornell University to be able to use them toward the minors program. For pre-requisite courses (Microeconomics and Statistics) you are allowed to take them online at other institutions.

I want to take courses at another institution. How do I find out if I can use them toward my minor?

Please send us a full copy of the syllabus of the course you hope to transfer. The following information must be included in the syllabus: mode of instruction, how many credits is the course, meeting times/hours, final exam schedule, and the list of topics covered. We have a list of courses that have been approved in the past we can compare your course to, and will send your request along to a review committee.

I have already completed my business minor requirement abroad/transferring from a different college. What is next?

You need to contact your college registrar office to ensure the course is added to your transcript. We are unable to use courses that are not listed on your transcript. From there, please request a transfer credit to your Dyson business minor account including your grade in the course and which course you are trying to transfer the class into. The business minor team will check your Cornell transcript and either approve or deny your request. Only TWO of the required courses can be taken outside of Cornell.


How are the Engineering Minor or the Life Sciences Minor different from the other minors?

In addition to being tailored to the specific interests of students in the engineering and life science fields, to complete either one of these minors you are required to take a certain number of AEM credits (Dyson courses). For the Engineering Minor you must have at least 7 AEM credits, and for the Life Sciences Minor you must have at least 9 AEM credits.

I am an ORIE student and I would like to pursue a business minor. What are my options?

The requirements set by the Engineering Department at Cornell state that ORIE students CANNOT pursue the University-Wide Business Minor. The minors that are open to you are: Dyson Business Minor for Engineers (DBME); Applied Economics Minor; Environmental, Energy, and Resource Economics Minor; Agribusiness Management Minor, and International Trade and Development Minor. Keep in mind that in order to complete DBME, you must also take one additional upper level accounting course. You can see the complete list of available courses on our website.

Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation

How do I get started?

First, review the Overview of Coursework to better understand the Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (MEI). Second, using the Business Minors Tool, apply and submit a declaration of intent following completion of your first two semesters but prior to the end of your sixth semester (note: students in their seventh semester who are graduating in Fall 2018 may also apply in Spring 2018), plan a course of study to complete the MEI requirements, and certify completion of your minor by May 1 of your senior year if you are graduating in spring or by December 1 of your senior year if you are graduating in the fall.

What if I can’t or don’t want to complete the MEI?

There is no penalty for not completing the MEI, and you can leave the program at any time. From your MEI dashboard, click Show Courses. From the Manage Minor menu, select Drop Minor. You will receive an email notification confirming the drop.

I took entrepreneurship courses abroad or at another institution. How do I find out if I can use them toward the MEI?

From your MEI dashboard, click Show Courses. Select Transfer Request found on the Manage Minor menu. Fill out the required fields and hit submit. After you submit the form, your request will be reviewed by the MEI committee, and you will receive an email notification indicating whether your request was approved or denied.

Who is eligible to apply for the MEI?

The MEI is available to all undergraduates who are graduating in Fall 2018 or later across all colleges at Cornell University, including the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business.

Is there a GPA requirement for the MEI?

There is no GPA requirement for admission to the MEI.

How many credits do I need to complete the MEI?

The MEI requires a total of 17 credits.

If I get a grade of C- or below in one of the courses, will it count toward the MEI?

No. All courses must be taken for a letter grade and must receive a C or above to count toward the MEI.

Will I be guaranteed enrollment in the required courses if I am accepted into the MEI?

No. Prospective students should be aware that declaring intent for the minor does not guarantee enrollment in any of the minor courses. The entrepreneurship courses are very popular, and students are strongly encouraged to plan ahead in order to meet the minor course requirements.

Will I receive in-depth mentoring or individualized consultation from the MEI office?

No. The MEI office will only address general questions regarding the MEI. Students seeking in-depth mentoring and individualized support are encouraged to utilize Blackstone LaunchPad through Entrepreneurship at Cornell.

I can’t find the answer to my question on the MEI website. Who can I contact?

Please send general questions regarding the MEI to, or call Nicole McQuiddy-Davis in the MEI office at 607-255-2486. You may also stop by the MEI office in 545 Statler Hall between the hours of 8am and 4pm, Monday through Thursday, and the hours of 8am and 3pm, Friday.